Monday, October 16, 2006

Hunger for Information

At some point last week, my RSS reader was monitoring 138 feeds! I don't now what's come over me, but I always want to be 'in the know', so I monitor everything from news feeds, friends' blogs, entertainment musings, jokes, devotionals, and other international items of interest.
The ease of reviewing all this information from one place (namely the RSS reader) helps, but it can become an obsession. I don't know how many hours I spend daily reading the latest, but it's getting to unacceptable levels. There's just too much interesting information out there that it'd become an almost part-time job to stay completely updated.

This week mission: to trim the number of feeds I read to less than 50! Still a lot by most people's standards, but I'll consider it the absolute information I need to gain some peace of mind. Plus I get to eliminate the numerous newsletters I had been receiving via email - most of them have RSS feeds that I can add to my reader.

Using a reader has also saved me countless hours that I'd have spent surfing the web to find these news items and other updates. Even with reduced surfing, the hunger for information seems to have increased ...