Saturday, January 06, 2007

To Catch a Scammer: Roommate Scam - Part VI


Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 2:59:31 AM
Subject: hello
Hello [Me],
Thanks so much for the email,i will provide you my flight details just for you to know when and what time i will be arriving,here is my office phone number 2348029516793...call me 3 o clock your time.I will sign the lease myself when i arrive.[xxxxxx]
  • As you can see, the package did arrive. Problem is the shipper on the packing slip is a Mary Thena (not well legible because it is a carbon copy) of 829 Nevada Ave, San Jose, CA 95125.
    • We have a new character in the plot - Mary Thena. Let's assume she's the sponsor/client's assistant.
    • The tracking number from Fedex's own website shows it originated from FL. It's suspicious that the packing slip should show a CA address.
    • View the Google map of the place - it looks like a residential place. So the address does check out. Here's where my good friend Adrian would have come in handy - he lives in San Jose, but he hasn't replied my email asking him to check out the address.
  • We now know that no one will be coming to check out the apartment at this point.
  • I didn't bother calling the number provided - long distance international calls to Nigeria (country code 234) run about 5¢/minute.
Our response:

Hi [xxxxxx],
I received your package and check via Fedex. I shall deposit it in one of my bank accounts and wait until it clears. After clearing, I shall withdraw the money as you requested in a previous email and send it by Western Union.
Noted: Please allow up to 2 weeks to ensure that this check clears. As soon as it clears, you shall hear from me. Otherwise, the apartment is still available, with two people on the waiting list. Good luck with your travels.
[Me]