To install Maven:
- Download the package from http://maven.apache.org/download.html.
- Unzip the contents to a location that will be Maven's home directory.
- Set the "M2_HOME" environment variable to point to the home directory. Some plugins still require it, although it is no longer necessary for Maven itself.
- Add %M2_HOME%\bin to environment PATH so that you may run the mvn command from anywhere.
Because I develop in the Eclipse IDE, it is configured it with the m2eclipse Maven plugin, which allows me to void a DOS console when I build projects and do everything in Eclipse:
- In Eclipse, create an update site for m2eclipse [Help > Install New Software. Add m2eclipse=http://download.eclipse.org/technology/m2e/releases.
- Select "Maven Integration for Eclipse", click [Next]. Agree to license terms and [Install]. You will need to restart Eclipse.
Some recommended reads on Maven2 can be found at http://maven.apache.org/articles.html. I like "Maven 2: Effective Implementation" because it also touches on Apache Archiva and Continuum. Otherwise "Apache Maven 3 Cookbook" will get you up-to-date on the latest usage of Maven.